Wednesday 8 January 2014

'Ello Cobber! - Lunch at Cobb Lane

Ok I did say I was resolved to post a bit more often ... at the moment I have the luxury of time as I'm still technically on holidays. I'm curbing the urge to log on to check emails ... I think I deserve a bit of me time! Lets see how long I can keep this up. Anyways, onwards and upwards!


Melbourne finally came through with the goods and the weather was glorious today. So in between running a few errands, we took advantage of our midweek freedom and made our way down to Yazzers to check out Matt Forbes recently minted bakery cum Cafe on Anderson Street, Yarraville called Cobb Lane.


If you haven't sampled the village delights of Yarraville, I suggest you plan a day out soon. You might very well find yourself picking up a few of the local Real estate catalogues along the way ... but be warned ... village life does not come cheap.

We started lunch off with our requisite 2 strong flat whites and worked our way through the rather perfunctory menu.


I have to confess that after seeing the paltry sandwich fillings on offer, I didn't have much hope of being completely blown away by my choice of the British breakfast. I think M was a little underwhelmed himself, but decided to give the eggplant and beetroot sanger a go.

M's sandwhich looked pretty much like any bog standard salad roll. There seemed to be precious little eggplant and an inordinate amount of bleeding beetroot. It looked a little like povo food to me ... and M wasn't entirely enamoured by the combination of flavours. (Oh and Alfalfa Sprouts??!! Really? In this day and age?)


However, my British breakfast was a revelation, and could easily count as one of the better "big" breakfasts on offer in this brunch obsessive town. This was heartattack on a plate - black pudding, scotch egg, rashers of what I believe is called "green" bacon (looking more like thin slices of pork belly), homemade HP sauce (sort of apple relishy) and Welsh Rarebit, which was more like a cheesy fritatta than the melted goo I'm more accustomed to.


The flavours were spot on, especially the bacon which had a great bitey texture and wasn't too salty or porky for that matter. The black pudding was the business, again not too salty, but it was rich. In fact in the midday heat, this breakfast behemoth was proving to be a bit of an endurance test for me.

Having said that, there was nothing left on the plate that went back to the kitchen. And rather foolishly we decided on a sweet each to finish off the meal. Kind of a big mistake. It all looked so delicious in the display cabinet and we could have easily eaten our way through every single one but commonsense prevailed in part.

We had the Salted Caramel and Cardammom biscuit, looking like a steroid pumped oreo cookie. This would have been heaven if we weren't already full to bursting. It felt like the biscuit was a little burnt, but I'm sure if we just went in there for coffee and had the biscuit on its own, we would have found it rich and unctuos with a deep dark chocolatey flavour.


Our second sweet was the Rhubarb, white chocolate and Szechuan Macarron. I was piqued by the inclusion of the unexpected addition of Szechuan pepper in the mix, but although the tart itself was pretty yummy in its own right, we didn't really get the Szechuan flavour at all, perhaps just a slight savoury hint. But it was in that sense a bit of a let down.


I will definitely be back for the British Breakfast and I have my eye on that Ginger and Toffee ball. I don't think its going to be a regular stop for us, but every now and then its nice to have a bit of Pomm in the mouth.

Cobb Lane on Urbanspoon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...