Friday 6 May 2011

Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star

Ok ... My Uncle was awarded the Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star which is a Swedish order of Chilvary.


I never really knew this, but my Uncle, in his capacity as the secretary-general to the Home Affairs Minsitry in 1975, offered himself as hostage to the Japanese Red Army in exchange for the release of 53 civilians and foreign diplomats including then Swedish Charge d’Affaires Fredrik Bergenstrahle and his secretary Ulla Odqvist.



Who knew that there was such heroism in my blood ... not the slightest inkling when I look in the mirror thats for sure. I remember my Uncle as being a gentle man, with that slight air of sophistication that a large house with an amazing orchard of fruit trees out the back affords. I could tell you a thing or 2 about his wife, and a funny story about his son, but why rake up the mud when such an act of bravery is there to hold up to the light.

I must admit that I am a little chuffed and quite a bit proud! And doesn't my Uncle cut a dashing figure in his slim tie and tie pin. And yes that is a safari jacket in the picture above ... it was all the rage ... once.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...